In 1976, at Strathfield Sydney, Robert Speirs-Ferrari established a licensed building and design company providing building advice solutions, architectural designs and hands-on construction. In 1986 at Lane Cove Sydney, Robert established a Building Diagnostic Consultant firm. In 1989, Building Diagnosis Centre Pty Limited for Building Engineering Consultants and Building Dispute Consultants.
Building Diagnosis Centre chartered fellow and accredited building inspector and building consultants have a wealth of court expert knowledge. Specialists forensic building consultants, eliminate faulty waterproofing, concrete corrosion, building faults, disputes, issues with asbestos and building access for people with disabilities. Call Robert Speirs-Ferrari to discuss your building complaint.
Our senior building consultants will give you expert advice how to prevent building damage, resolve construction problems, causes of corroding waterproofing damage, faulty concrete and steel structures. We supervise remediation, inspect faulty construction work and handle building contract disputes regarding costs and faulty work complaints. Call us today and talk about it with Robert Speirs-Ferrari.
BUILDING DIAGNOSIS CENTRE Pty Limited
Building Diagnosis Centre founded in 1986 is a leading forensic building engineering consultancy firm. Based in Manly Sydney Australia, BDC offer specialist building advice on residential, commercial, and local councils’ properties. BDC experts in remedial building solutions, have chartered accredited multi-disciplinary specialists, building consultants, building inspector, building court expert and structural engineers.
Building, Waterproofing & Engineering Advice
BDC building and design specialists have 30+ years professional and hands-on experience. Have the acquired skills to investigate damaged coastal, suburban and city properties. Offer advice and inspections for building compliance, work in progress, non-compliant work, faulty workmanship, material corrosion, deterioration damage, water penetration damage, faulty building construction, and building contract disputes.
We leave no stone unturned!
As Consultants are Professional Members of:
- Australian Institute of Building (chartered fellow Robert Speirs-Ferrari)
- National Building Professional Register (level-2 Robert Speirs-Ferrari)
- Master Builders Associations NSW (accredited consultant Robert Speirs-Ferrari)
- Building Designers Association Australia (member Robert Speirs-Ferrari)
- Australian Building Codes Board – Building Committee (BDAA Delegate Robert Speirs-Ferrari)
- Institute of Engineers Australia (chartered Geoff Hopkins)
- Australian Institute of Architects (chartered David Trinder)
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (accredited Grant Harrington)
- Australian Institute of Land Surveyors NSW (member Jimmy McClure)
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (member Budd Jayatillake)
- Royal Australian Heritage Society (Dr MacLaren North)
Building Engineering Consultants
- Chartered Accredited & Licensed
- Professional technical and tertiary qualifications
- Are analytical in all endeavours
- Communicate in plan English
- Insured in their professional fields
- Many years of extensive hands-on and consulting experience
- Prepare thorough reports and specifications
- Dedicated project managing rectifications – problem solvers
- Are detailed and thorough right to the end – we leave no stone unturned!.
Information on Building Complaints
By Company Director
Robert Speirs-Ferrari FAIB NBPR MMBA MBDA AffilIEAust
- Most common building complaints relate to faulty waterproofing and poor supervision.
- Best solid expert advice is factual evidence – stops disputes escalating.
- Recommend settling building complaints / disputes where possible, prior to NSW Fair Trading / NCAT.
- Common building damage is mostly caused by waterproofing defects.
- Proper waterproofing stops building faults and building deterioration.
- Designers and Builders make buildings safe, but not always free of damp and building defects.
- Independent inspections at critical construction stages should include all other work prior to being covered.
- Recommend building contracts list additional independent construction progress inspections.
Clients Guaranteed To
Receive Best Practice Advice
Building Diagnosis Centre seasoned chartered accredited specialists consultants and building experts, provide best practice advice. Best practice advice on building faults and damage is critical. This includes when giving evidence as court expert witness in building waterproofing disputes. We have the advantages i.e.:
- Robert Speirs-Ferrari has 30+ years experience.
- A team of forensic building and engineering consultants.
- A proven methodology in assessing clients’ properties.
- Thorough building inspection assessments of the design, construction, building faults, damage, and defective building work.
- The right experience and practice – refer to our selection of clients’ properties over last 10-years – view in our Curriculum vitae: refer to Downloads Page.
- Clients receive best expert approach to forensic and remedial building construction inspection management of their rectifications.
- Certified at critical stages by Robert or his consultants at each stage of the rectifications (prior to being covered over).
- Our proven approach, results in professional solutions to clients’ defective and deteriorating buildings, structures and strata units.
- Also these approaches produce sound compliant buildings.
- For litigation and legal matters, clients receive our specialist building consultants for court expert advice.
- This advice assists clients’ solicitors or those we recommend from established law firms.
- Robert as our expert court witness, greatly assists the legal people with his professional building expert advice.
- Robert’s expert opinion and advice listed in his expert building reports, stem from thorough research; and
- Evidence of building codes, standards and building contracts.
- Building expert reports are well prepared for giving evidence in NSW Courts and NCAT Fair Trading Tribunal.
Client satisfaction list of advantages
- During building inspections clients are informed of building issues and causes.
- That building damage is faulty work; not normal ‘wear and tear’ as told by others.
- Are made aware of the required repairs, remedial or replacement building work.
- Clients receive independent specifications to permanently rectify building problems.
- Being aware who is responsible for the building damage and rectifications.
- Are assured their serious building faults have been satisfactory rectified.
- Knowing that their building complies and is structurally sound.
- Occupying a waterproofed building free of mould and construction faults.
- Their building lawyer receives a ‘bullet-proof’ expert report for building litigation.
- Obtaining the right outcome in NSW Fair Trading, NCAT tribunal, and district courts.
Explore our building consultants’
summary service solutions below
Get in touch today via email with your complaint via email@example.com
Our building expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari will respond with a
written detailed proposal for a solution to your building issues.
Telephone us direct in Sydney on 0408 911 210 02 9402 0140
Summary information of consulting service
“Solutions for your faulty buildings, building design issues, deterioration and construction complaints.”
Diagnostic building investigations
As passionate multi-disciplinary building problem solvers, our aim is always to achieve what is best for our clients’ buildings and structures. Properties need to comply and to continue to perform satisfactory for their intended use and when selling to new owners. We achieve this by best practice property inspection surveys, investigating construction work in progress, checking condition and suitability of materials including containing bonded fibro asbestos cement.
We evaluate specifications, architectural and engineering drawings, contract documents, and local council approvals. Properties are also assessed against the National Construction Code Building Code of Australia (NCC/BCA), Australian Standards and manufacturers’ technical data sheets. When necessary, we assist clients in dispute and litigation as expert witness opinion evidence in NSW Fair Trading NCAT and Courts.
Expert Reports & Specifications
Clients receive verbal reports at the property that contain best expert opinion evidence and practical advice. Advice includes explaining causes of contract dispute issues, reasons faulty work occurred, remedies and solutions of building and waterproofing defects as well as construction damage that occurred and if damage is due to normal ‘wear and tear’. Advantages – includes given in person immediately at the property allowing clients to discuss and fully understand the situation. Advice also given by phone conference whilst at the property or afterwards.
Photographic Evidence Reports
Photographs we take of our inspection areas and relied upon for future evidence, as well as for preparing a quick turnaround photographic evidence report with captions and a covering letter of our findings. Advantages – photograph documents can be served on the other party as a stand alone evidence document as a strategy to settle a building issue. Forms part of the more expensive comprehensive written expert report.
When required, our expert written reports fully document our observations, testing, opinions, and with our practical solutions. Solution specify necessary scope of work for costing by experienced independent remedial builders – we recommend and can project manage remedial works instructed by client.
Project Manage Waterproofing Issues
Our chief expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*, project manages our clients’ works for quality control inspections of waterproofing membranes roofs, roof and wall flashings and remedial work at critical stages to certify compliance and progress payments. Common complaints and remedial work is water related defects to strata units’ balconies, terraces, flat roofs, wall flashings and rising/penetrating damp. We commonly give advice on the effects of water ingress from strong wind-driven rain, due to faulty waterproofing membranes; a key factor requiring expensive rectifications. Robert continues to put people in safe and sound waterproofed buildings and structures.
Project Manage Spalling Concrete Issues
Coastal Corrosion Strata Damaged Buildings
Our chief expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*, project manages our clients’ works by inspecting remedial work at critical stages to certify compliance and progress payments. Common complaints and remedial work is water related defects. We commonly give advice on the effects of water ingress from strong wind-driven rain, due to faulty waterproofing membranes; a key factor requiring expensive rectifications. Robert continuously puts people in safe and sound waterproofed buildings and structures.
Building Expert Litigation Consultant
*Robert Speirs-Ferrari FAIB MMBA MBDA NBPR AffilIEAust chartered fellow building professional, accredited building consultant, waterproofing consultant, consulting building designer, licensed builder and licensed asbestos inspector with 40-years’ career experience in the building and construction industry. Robert gives general and specialist building construction advice on causes of building waterproofing complaints and disputes together with practical solutions.
Building Disputes Experts
Technical inquires for expert solutions to building disputes, are handled by our chief forensic expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*. Robert is a leading building and design expert, advising clients on best solutions to damaged building construction and claims made under Home Warranty Insurance – NSW Home Building Compensation Fund. Robert represents clients at NSW Fair Trading mediation, NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) and Courts. As expert witness Robert complies with all requirements of the Expert Witness Code of Conduct.
Our Consultants Proven Diagnostic Procedure
Our professional procedures provided by our qualified experienced multi-disciplinary chartered and accredited building consultants, waterproofing consultants and structural engineers, suits all properties in residential and commercial strata buildings (and industrial and local government structures). Our proven systematic approach identifies construction concerns, complaints, damage, faulty work and materials. This results in our building experts properly diagnosing and determining building damage sustained, causes, and required solutions resolving building and construction disputes. Part of our building inspectors and forensic building and waterproofing experts proven systematic approach is our 10-point methodology listed below.
Our 10-point service methodology
We leave no stone unturned!
1 Discussion – we need the full history of the building waterproofing issue.
2 Inspection – we undertake our visual building inspections.
3 Testing – we perform moisture meter tests for rising damp, water ingress through walls, balconies or roof membranes.
4 Examination – physical exploratory intrusion into wall cavities determines root causes / problems.
5 Assessing – we analyse and evaluate our findings and provide research.
6 Reporting – prepare expert’s report and photographic evidence.
7 Remedial work – conclusion includes comprehensive scope of rectifications.
8 Recommendations – we advise on remedial building contractors for quotations.
9 Contracts and manage – we arrange NSW Fair Trading building contracts. Project inspection of work, certify at critical stages, progress payments, and on completion.
10 The Results – Once done, the benefits to our clients is a sound, safe, waterproofed property.
Our Consultancy service fee proposals
Clients receive our “obligation-free consulting service fee proposal”. Proposals are detailed. Explaining our professional consulting services and hourly fee costs for the best methodology required to resolve client’s building issues, disputes, complaints, damage, reporting, inspections, certifying remedial work and building expert witness. Due to many unknowns and extend of building damage, causes and our time required, we offer fee estimates only (where possible) and our usual terms and conditions.
M.Dsgn(UTS), GradDip.Dsgn, GradCert.Dsgn, Cert.ArchHerit,
Dip.BldgConst, Cert.Lic’d Bldg, Cert.Lic’d Asbestos Superviser, Cert.WaterproofConst,
Managing Director, Principal MBA Accredited Building Consultant, BDA Building Design Consultant, FAIB Chartered Fellow Builder, FAIB Chartered Fellow Building Professional, WCA Asbestos Inspector, OFT Licensed Builder and Waterproofing Consultant