It all started in 1976, at Strathfield Sydney, where our company director Robert Speirs-Ferrari established a licensed building and design company providing building advice solutions, architectural designs and hands-on construction. In 1986 at Lane Cove Sydney, Robert established a Building Diagnostic Consultant firm, and in 1989, the Building Diagnosis Centre Pty Limited for Building Engineering Consultants and Building Dispute Consultants.
Building Diagnosis Centre have building engineering consultants and building inspectors with a wealth of knowledge. They are chartered fellow and accredited building consultants, and specialists forensic building consultants. They will eliminate your faulty waterproofing, concrete corrosion, building faults, disputes, issues with asbestos and building access for people with disabilities. Call Robert to discuss your building inspection.
Our senior building consultants will give you expert advice how to prevent building damage, resolve construction problems, causes of corroding waterproofing damage, faulty concrete and steel structures. We supervise remediation, inspect faulty construction work and handle building contract disputes regarding costs and faulty work complaints. Call us today and talk about it with Robert Speirs-Ferrari.
BUILDING DIAGNOSIS CENTRE Pty Limited
Forensic Building and Waterproofing Consultancy Services – Since 1986
Building Consultants, Waterproofing Consultants, Building Contract Consultants, Engineers, Specification Consultants, Consulting Chartered Builder + Project Managers of Remedial Works
We Make Our Solutions Work For You – Since 1986
Building Diagnosis Centre of Manly is one of Sydney’s best multi-disciplinary chartered and accredited building and design consultancy firms providing forensic building investigations, building inspections and project managing remedial work. Waterproofing leaks and water ingress is our most common inquiry. We prepare expert opinion reports on causes of damage and how to rectify structurally sick defective building construction, coastal building corrosion and failed waterproofing. Professional advice given on incorrect building materials and non-compliance building contract works in dispute. We ensure our clients’ properties comply, are structurally sound, free of faults, defects, and waterproofed ready to sell or occupy.
Building Investigations – Manage Remedial Work – Building Disputes – Our Chief Building Expert Witness For Disputes
Diagnostic InvestigationsAs passionate multi-disciplinary building problem solvers, our aim is always to achieve what is best for our clients’ “buildings and structures”. Why, as properties are required to comply, and to continue to perform satisfactory when purchased by new owners. We achieve this by best practice property inspection surveys, investigating construction work in progress includes materials containing bonded fibro cement asbestos, evaluating contract documents, specifications, architectural and engineering drawings, and local council approvals. Properties are also assessed against the National Construction Code Building Code of Australia (NCC/BCA), Australian Standards and manufacturers’ technical data sheets. We give expert opinion evidence in Fair Trading and Courts.
Expert ReportsClients always receive our verbal reports with our best expert opinion evidence and practical advice. Written report advice lists contract dispute issues and faulty work, causes and remedies of building and waterproofing defects, construction damage and normal ‘wear and tear’. Our experts’ reports have practical solutions and specify remedial work that we project manage when instructed.
Project Manage Waterproofing IssuesOur chief expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*, project manages our clients’ works for quality control inspections of waterproofing membranes roofs, roof and wall flashings and remedial work at critical stages to certify compliance and progress payments. Common complaints and remedial work is water related defects to strata units’ balconies, terraces, flat roofs, wall flashings and rising/penetrating damp. We commonly give advice on the effects of water ingress from strong wind-driven rain, due to faulty waterproofing membranes; a key factor requiring expensive rectifications. Robert continues to put people in safe and sound waterproofed buildings and structures.
Spalling Concrete IssuesCoastal Corrosion Strata Damaged BuildingsOur chief expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*, project manages our clients’ works by inspecting remedial work at critical stages to certify compliance and progress payments. Common complaints and remedial work is water related defects. We commonly give advice on the effects of water ingress from strong wind-driven rain, due to faulty waterproofing membranes; a key factor requiring expensive rectifications. Robert continuously puts people in safe and sound waterproofed buildings and structures.
Building DisputesDispute ExpertTechnical inquires for expert solutions to building disputes, are handled by our chief forensic expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari*. Robert is a leading building and design expert, advising clients on best solutions to damaged building construction and claims made under Home Warranty Insurance – NSW Home Building Compensation Fund. Robert represents clients at NSW Fair Trading mediation, NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) and Courts. As expert witness Robert complies with all requirements of the Expert Witness Code of Conduct.
*Building Expert Litigation ConsultantRobert Speirs-Ferrari FAIB MMBA MBDA NBPR AffilIEAust chartered fellow building professional, accredited building consultant, waterproofing consultant, consulting building designer, licensed builder and licensed asbestos inspector with 40-years’ career experience in the building and construction industry. Robert gives general and specialist building construction advice on causes of building waterproofing complaints and disputes together with practical solutions.
Our Consultants Have A Proven Diagnostic Procedure
Our professional procedures provided by our qualified experienced multi-disciplinary chartered and accredited building consultants, waterproofing consultants and structural engineers, suits all properties in residential and commercial strata buildings (and industrial and local government structures). Our proven systematic approach identifies construction concerns, complaints, damage, faulty work and materials. This results in our building experts properly diagnosing and determining building damage sustained, causes, and required solutions resolving building and construction disputes. Part of our building inspectors and forensic building and waterproofing experts proven systematic approach is our 10-point methodology listed below.
We have a 10-point service methodology leaves no stone unturned!
Discussion – we need to know the full history of the building issues (may be a waterproofing issue). Inspection – we undertake our visual building inspections. Testing – perform moisture meter tests that could be for rising damp or ingress of water through walls or balconies or roof membranes. Examination – we may need to provide physical exploratory intrusion into wall cavities etc to determine the true root causes/problems. Assessing – we analyse and evaluate our findings and provide research. Reporting – preparation of the expert’s report and merge photographic evidence that we photograph at the property. Remedial work – our conclusion will include comprehensive scope of rectifications. Recommendations – we recommend remedial building contractors for quotations. Contracts and manage – we arrange NSW Fair Trading building contracts and project inspection manage the work certifying at critical stages, progress payments, and on completion. The Results – Once we’re done, the benefits to our clients is a sound, safe, waterproofed property.
Our Consulting service fee proposals
Clients receive our “obligation-free consulting service fee proposal”. Our proposals are detailed explaining our consulting services and fee costs for the best methodology service required to resolve building issues, complaints, damage and building disputes. Most of the time due to the many unknowns regarding the extend of building damage and causes, we provide estimates. We include our usual terms and conditions for the protection of both parties.
Building Information on building defects and dispute issues
Our website contains a wealth of information and knowledge gathered from our building consultants and waterproofing consultants’ real life cases of building and construction problems, damaged and faulty buildings. Just click open our subject headings below or our expertise menu tool bar. We are quite happy to take calls to answer questions about our services and how we would help you.
Call and ask for Robert Speirs-Ferrari on 02 9402 0140 or 0408 911 210
Our clients are individuals, firms and government
- Strata managers, business managers, law firms, insurers, loss adjusters, industrial, hospitality, infrastructure buildings of state and local government, and discrete owners of properties of residential, strata, commercial and retail.
- We consult to managers of Public Heath, education institutions, place of worship and heritage building structures.
- We assist genuine professional building investors, developers, builders, contractors and tradespeople.
- We offer professional assistance to building designers, architects, structural engineers, loss adjusters, quantity surveyors, project engineers, building consultant profession when our specialists expertise is required.
Expertise link – Consulting Services Snapshot
- Initial advice – phone consultation
- Faulty construction problem-solving advice
- Visual inspections of buildings and structures
- Progress inspections of remedial work
- Physical intrusion investigations and inspections
- Corrosive concrete core samples and with magnesite – NATA tests (National Association Testing Authorities Australia Laboratory)
- Certification of completed remedial works
- Remedial Works Contracts, Plans, Reports, Specifications and Cost Estimates
- Project Manager Client Representation
- Obtain and evaluate contractors’ tenders
- Contract administration of remedial work
- Disputes and mediation advices
- Assessing work and contractors’ accounts
- Preparing cost estimates for tribunal / court cases
- Expert reports as per Experts Code of Conduct
- Expert testimony in NCAT / Count
- Asbestos Inspections and Advice as per Work Cover Requirements
- Disable Access as per “The Premises Code” Requirements
- Heritage Building Assessments of Dilapidation Damage
- Expertise Overview
Why do clients talk about us! Are they satisfied?
- ‘We found them to be a leading boutique multi-disciplinary team of building and design experts handling our construction problems.’
- ‘Your sound building advice, got our construction work back on track and to council requirements’.
- ‘Your technical inspection and scope of works reports, were prepared suitably for our builder to understand the complex design hence reason we engaged you to project manage and supervise our build’.
- ‘Your specialist diagnostic building and waterproofing inspections ensured our work was certified and achieving compliance with council conditions’.
- ‘Your physical destructive investigations discovered the true root causes of our water ingress, faulty work, and damage caused to our building, hence the developer followed your specifications for the remedial work that fixed our building issues’.
- ‘You resolved our serious building complaints, our faults and the building contract dispute regarding our general building maintenance and repair issues. This kept us and our builder out of court’.
- ‘Your formal assessment and expert reports, specifications and photographic evidence secured our argument to proceed with NSW Fair Trading NCAT 175 Castlereagh Street Sydney NSW 2000 and later relied upon in the Sydney District court John Maddison Tower 86-90 Goulburn Street Sydney NSW 2000′.
Seek fast information and response to your building faults!
- Please write your building issues on our “Contact Us” page, and our chief Building Expert Robert Speirs-Ferrari will respond promptly.
- Please click on Expertise link – Consulting Services Snapshot (above) or click Expertise in toolbar – a ‘library’ of building issues and how we resolve them.
- For better understanding who we are, what we do, the way we do things, the type of building issues we resolve and information that we can provide! Than take time to look through the following.
- Otherwise please call our office on (02) 9402 0140 and mobile 0408 911 210 and email us at email@example.com
Our core consultancy business is building and waterproofing investigations
- Waterproofing Consultants – we offer independent expert advice on causes and solutions of ingress of water and failed waterproofing membranes during our inspections and at post-forensic investigation. Our head consultant has 40 years experience in the building construction industry.
- Building Consultant – we give objective expert advice, solutions and forensic investigations of all structural building damage. Includes inspections of concrete spalling, cracking, corrosion, magnesite strata floor damage and steel corrosion. We will also project manage remedial rectifications to your property.
- Chartered Building Professionals – we provide professional expert inspections and advice on causes of building construction faults and materials. We handle your building complaints, building contract costs variations and work in progress. We will provide you with detailed user-friendly reports and specifications for the rectifications.
- Building Dispute Experts – we provide comprehensive building assessments, expert opinion evidence and advice in our Technical Inspection Reports on building issues and disputes. We act as independent expert witness to proceedings in courts and in Fair Trading NCAT and Home Building Compensation Fund insurance claims for plaintiffs or defendants. We provide names of reliable builders. Refer to our Links page for remedial builders’ list.
- Expert Witness Code Of Conduct – our expert witnesses prepare expert reports for building disputes that comply with this code according to NSW Fair Trading NCAT and Courts.
- Code of Practice, Ethics and Codes – our senior chartered accredited building consultants and waterproofing consultants abide by these rules as professional members of the following building industry associations:
- Australian Institute of Building
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
- Australian Institute of Architects
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
- Australian Institute of Building (Land) Surveyors
- Master Builders Association Accredited Consultants
- Building Designers Australia
- Engineers Australia
- National Trust of Australia, and
- Trades Monitor Ebix Australia and Strata Community Select.
Litigation – We provide building consultants’ expert opinion evidence advice
- NSW Home Warranty Insurance Fund (HWIF) insurance claims
- NSW Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF) insurance claims
- Home Building Act 1989 – PART 2C – Statutory Warranties
- Faulty new construction and remedial rectifications
- Coastal salt attack of deteriorating building structures
- Waterproofing membrane deterioration and failures
- Water penetration internally including subsurface seepage
- Faulty work assessed against the contract or approvals
- Incomplete work not according to the contract
- Non-compliant work breaching the specification contract
- Spalling and cracked concrete slab floors including rust corrosion reinforcement steel
- Concrete spalling and rust stain damaged and cracked balconies
- Sagging cantilever strata balconies
- Concrete damaged facade of coastal properties adjacent to surfing beaches
- Wall cracking movements and subsidence
- The safety of balustrades and stairways
- Identifying Asbestos fibro cement building materials
- Building access requirements for people with disabilities
Our court expert witness litigation building reports reference Codes & Acts
- Building work not in accordance with building contracts, plans and specifications
- Contract breaches of building law; National Construction Code Building Code of Australia
- Breaches of Australian Standards and manufactures specifications
- Breaches of residential construction
- Breaches of Home Building Act 1989 and Home Building Regulation 1997
- Breaches Office of Fair Trading NSW Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2007
See list of building faults and disputes – We provide genuine, solid, objective specialist advice
- Structural faulty and defective strata unit buildings especially ingress of water
- Waterproofing and structural damage claims
- Roof and balcony waterproofing membranes and flashings
- Assessment of latent building defects usually waterproofing related
- Spalling concrete testing, magnesite and cracking investigations
- Rust corrosion of structural steel and reinforcement in concrete
- Rust corrosion of metal roof cladding and steel framework
- Wall cracking investigations from foundation movement and rust corrosion steel
- Building contract variations and disputes usually building defects
- Building inspections and investigations of complete structures
- Building disputes and litigation on majority of building matters
- Diagnose and recommend solutions for waterproofing and building works
- Prepare specifications and design particularly on remedial rectification work
- Obtain costings from reliable builders on behalf of property owners
- Project manage remedial work and assess progress payment claims
- Expert witness opinion evidence building inspection reports
- Scott Schedules and professional expert witness services for Fair Trading, NCAT and Courts
Common structural building corrosion complaints – That we resolve
- Waterproofing membranes and flashings
- Spalling concrete chloride induced corrosion
- Magnesite induced corrosion strata unit floors
- Brickwork chloride induced corrosion strata unit walls
- Balcony and balustrade rust corrosion structural steel
- Concrete damaged facade of coastal properties adjacent to surfing beaches
As “problem-solvers” we take care of your needs
- We give sound advice, diagnose building defects, faults, damage, deterioration, defective workmanship and building complaints / disputes.
- We thrive on rectifying strata apartments suffering the effects of coastal salt attach damage to waterproofing membranes causing spalling concrete (cancer).
- We prepare special purpose inspection reports and specifications for property owners and building managers. We supervise and project manage remedial rectifications.
- Our consulting building designer and chartered architect examine non-compliant building and construction work to local Council and to the National Construction Code Building Code of Australia. Our nominated chartered architect is David Trinder AIA registration number 2121
- We compile technical evidence and assist clients and lawyers in Sydney courts and Fair Trading Inspectors regarding complaints and at NSW NCAT building cases.
Talk to our chief building waterproofing consultant Robert Speirs-Ferrari
- Robert Speirs-Ferrari FAIB MMBA MBDA NBPR AffilIEAust is our chief and mentor. He is an established building and design expert for 30-years since 1986, and with a total of 40-years professional and practical experience in the building construction industry. He provides his clients with expert opinion advice and evidence to settle disputes.
- His qualifications includes to a master’s degree level (UTS), and his professions include a chartered fellow building professional FAIB, an accredited building consultant MMBA, a building designer consultant MBDA, a licensed waterproofing consultant OFT and as a qualified experienced licensed practicing master builder OFT.
- Robert is also a licensed bonded cement asbestos certifier, inspector and supervisor WCA ‘so his got you covered’.
- Robert will answer your questions, so just contact our Northern Beaches Manly Sydney office on 02 9402 0140, Mobile 0408 911 210 and email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have helped thousands of clients
- Whether you live in a residential house, strata unit complex, the manager of a commercial, local government or industrial property, we can assist you with specialist building consultancy, building information, inspections and forensic investigations.
- We assist you with our specialists expertise. This includes to assess and resolve all types of building failures, damage sustained due to faulty construction, waterproofing failures, building movement cracking, spalling concrete coastal corrosion and salt induced dilapidation damage.
- We advise you if work is illegal or built not according to Council approved drawings or the building contract. We will provide you expert opinion if you are already in a building dispute or to prevent a building dispute occurring.
- We provide you, with a practical easy to comprehend, expert building inspection report to resolve whatever building issue you are faced with. We will attend meetings with you and your builder, architect or engineer or strata manager to aid in resolving any disputes.
- We can do this as we have extensive building and construction and design experience, preparing practical and objective scope of works, specifications and producing building expert opinion evidence reports for your strata or your solicitor, and for Fair Trading NCAT / Court.
- If you are renovating and require a building specialist consultant or project manager on your side, we prepare specifications for your builders, and for waterproofing remedial works.
Benefits to our clients
- We give remedial construction professional technical ‘plain english’ advice.
- This is given to our clients at our building inspections and over the phone.
- Our clients are kept well informed.
- We advise on the necessary steps to take and ensure the client understands the severity of their actions.
- We provide the type of expert reports and Scott Schedules reports necessary to successfully settle claims and disputes.
- We prepare clients with strong evidence when forced to attend consumer Tribunal NCAT or commercial litigation in court.
- Our best approach is relying upon our sound design and construction experience giving practical advice.
- We reference the National Construction Code Volumes 1 and 2 Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards.
- We refer to building contracts, approved drawings and specifications and manufacturers’ requirements.
- We draw on our experience from 1000’s of forensic investigations and reports advising on damaged buildings, construction faults, building contract disputes, and coastal atmospheric corrosive damage i.e. spalling concrete and floor magnesite explosion particularly strata and local government heritage properties.
We have accreditation and chartered status – Decades of experience
- Accredited Senior Building Consultants MMBA
- Chartered Building Professional FAIB
- Chartered Builder FAIB
- Master (licensed) Builder MMBA
- Building Designers MBDA
- Structural Engineers M.I.E. (Aust) CPEng NPER
- Chartered Quantity Surveyor FRICS FCIOB AAIQS
- Registered Land Surveyor MIS NSW
- Consulting Chartered Architect AIA – Disability Access and Egress
- Conservation and Heritage Consultants LMAPT LMSHA LMASHA MNTA
M.Dsgn(UTS), GradDip.Dsgn, GradCert.Dsgn, Cert.ArchHerit,
Dip.BldgConst, Cert.Lic’d Bldg, Cert.Lic’d Asbestos Superviser, Cert.WaterproofConst,
Managing Director, Principal MBA Accredited Building Consultant, BDA Building Design Consultant, FAIB Chartered Fellow Builder, FAIB Chartered Fellow Building Professional, WCA Asbestos Inspector, OFT Licensed Builder and Waterproofing Consultant